Sunday 12 February 2012

Dragons

"Why aren't you making Dragons?" David asked me. Good question.....I had dragged him too the beach weeks earlier to help me find pieces of washed up coral as I had had an idea to use them as the sun backed rocks that little dragons would lie on. Since that time the coral had been sitting outside waiting to be used.
I pulled out the copper coloured clay to use as my base and started work. 
I wan't sure if the clay would fuse to the coral during the baking process, and as it turns out it does - sometimes. However, this little dragon did not. So, I asked David to glue him on. When I got home from work that day David showed me the piece - but he had added a couple of touches of his own. He has boxes full of trees, bushes, benches, people etc that game from an architectural model that he was given. The palm tree and bush were the perfect scale for the dragon and really finished the piece. 


The second dragon was already fused to the coral as his tail was wrapped around it. I tried adding a tree to his rock, but it didn't look right, then David showed me the little people that had in his box of goodies. Perfect!

                      

The third dragon was a challenge. I wanted to create one with mantled wings. The problem there was that the clay softens when it is baked and I ran the risk of them collapsing. I used tinfoil to hold them in place, put him in the convection oven and crossed my fingers. Luckily it all worked out quite well, good enough that I am going to make more like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment